Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Lake Nacimiento Resort? Lake Nacimiento Resort (LNR) is a full service, family oriented Resort operated by Monterey County Parks Department and managed by Monterey Lakes Recreation Company, known also as Cal Parks.
2. Where are you located? LNR is located about 15 miles NW of Paso Robles, the closest city.
3. What facilities do you have? There are over 300 tent and RV sites, 40 full hook up sites, 19 luxury lakeview lodges (similar to townhouses), rental trailers, one doublewide mobile home and one modular cottage. There is a full service marina with boat rentals and water sport equipment , 2 launch ramps, a general store, a coin operated laundry room, a seasonal restaurant, a seasonal swimming pool, and picnic areas with a volleyball court, half basketball court and horseshoe pits.
4. How far are you from Los Angeles and San Francisco? LNR is located midway between LA and San Francisco – 210 miles from LA/210 miles from San Francisco/160 miles from San Jose.
5. Is the store open all year? Yes, but the hours vary by season
6. Do you sell ice? Yes, at the General Store and Marina Store.
7. Is the pool open year round? Is there a charge? The pool is only open during the summer months from about Memorial Day to Labor Day. There is a charge of $ 5.00 per person.
8. Do you have a restaurant and when is it open? Yes, generally it is open Memorial Day to Labor Day. Hours and days of operations vary.
9. When is the Resort open? The Resort is open all year. Some facilities, such as the pool and restaurant are closed during the winter season. Some campgrounds are closed during the winter.
10. What are the entry fees? LNR has both winter and summer rates for both day use and overnight camping. You can go to our website @ www.nacimientoresort.com.
11. What is day use? Day use is anytime from 4:00am until dusk.
12. What if I come in before 4:00am? If you enter the Park before 4:00am, the current overnight rate will be charged.
13. Do you have senior or family rates? Yes, a “senior” is anyone 62 years of age or older. Senior rates are available on camping and full hookup services and day use. There are no family discounts.
14. Is there a yearly car pass, and is it good for both lakes? Yes. The Annual Day Use Pass is $200. It is valid from the day purchased for one year. It provides entry in any Monterey County Park, including Lake San Antonio.
15. Is there a yearly boat pass, and is it good for both lakes? Yes. The Annual Boat Pass is $100 per boat. It is valid from January 1 to December 31. It is good for both lakes. Kayaks / canoes are $ 3.00 a day.
16. What rules apply to the annual car pass? The pass is good for one year. It allows the holder one entry per day for any vehicle. It cannot be used for overnight camping and cannot be used for commercial use. (Gate attendant discretion)
17. Can I bring friends in on my annual pass? Yes, as long as they are in the same vehicle there are no more than 8 people in the car.
18. Are you a state or county park? Monterey County Parks Department owns & operates the Resort. CalParks is the concessioner that manages the store, marina, lodging, restaurant and pool.
19. What are the lake hours? You can be on the water any time; however, you cannot sleep overnight on the water. The launch ramp will close in the overnight hours. Check current hours of operation.
20. Can I bring my dog and if so is there a fee? Yes, if you are camping or in the Resort for day use you may bring your dog. If asked, you must provide proof of rabies vaccine, either a current county dog tag or a certificate from your vet. Dogs must be kept on a leash no longer than 6 feet and cannot be left unattended at any time. You are also responsible for cleaning up after you dog. The pet fee is $2.00 per day per pet.
21. Are dogs allowed to swim in the lake? Yes.
22. Can I bring my cat and if so is there a fee? Yes, the pet fee is $2.00 per day per pet.
23. Do you rent horses? Can I bring my own? No, we don’t rent horses and they are not allowed in the Resort. However North Shore at Lake San Antonio has a horse facility and ride trails. You can contact them at (805) 472-2311 information.
24. What is the average air temperature?
Average day and night temperature are:
Month Day Night
April 80 45
May 85 50
June 90 55
July 95 55
August 95 55
Sept. 90 50
Oct. 75 45
Nov. 70 45
Dec. 60 40
Jan. 60 40
Feb. 60 40
March 70 45
25. Are there lots of insects? Some, but rarely a nuisance.
26. Are there snakes? A few, and most of them are not poisonous and when left alone they are not harmful. However, an occasional rattlesnake is encountered. Always watch out for snakes.
27. What is the lake elevation? The spillway elevation is 800’ above sea level. Lake level varies.
28. Do you allow motorcycles? Yes, but they have to be street legal. They are the same fee as a car.
29. Do you sell gas? The only fuel is vessel fuel on the marina – 89 octane.
30. Do you sell Propane? Yes, at the General Store. Check for current store hours and price.
31. Is there a designated swimming area in the lake? No, the entire lake is an open swim lake. Except as it pertains to boating water sports, swimmers must stay within 100 feet of shore.
32. Is there a place to inflate my raft? Yes, at the marina.
33. Where is the closest public golf course? Hunter Ranch Public Golf Club is located a few miles east of Paso Robles on Hwy 46. Other public courses can be played in Atascadero or San Luis Obispo.
34. Do you know anything about the facilities at Lake San Antonio? For Information on camping you can call 805-472-2311.
35. What kind of television reception do you get? Is cable available? One or two stations, possibly. Cable is not available.
36. Newspapers? Radio? Several radio stations are available. Newspapers are not delivered to the Resort.
37. Are there public phones? No.
38. Can you mail me a job application? Yes, you can also visit our website: www.nacimientoresort.com and download an application or the Monterey County website.
39. Do you have an 800 telephone number? Yes, 800-323-3839.
40. Is your resort a member of Good Sam? No.
41. Do you give Auto Club Discount? No.
42. Is there a fee to put my boat on the lake? Yes, $10.00 per day lake use fee or you can purchase an annual boat sticker. Boat permits are purchased at the Resort main office or at the front gate, Heritage Ranch and Oak Shores.
Your Vessel MUST be inspected for the Quagga/Zebra Mussel PRIOR to launching. Vessel must be clean, dry and drained of any water. If your vessel has been on infected body of water, you will not be able to launch.
43. Do you have RV and / or Boat storage? Yes, 55 spaces. See the rate sheet prices.
44. If damage should occur while in Dry Storage, who is responsible? You are responsible for the storage of your vessel and any damages that might occur.
45. How do we gain access to the Dry Storage yard? The gate is locked with a combination lock. The combination is given to Dry Storage customers.
46. Do you accept payment by personal check? Monterey County accepts personal checks and Visa or MasterCard for camping, day use, ADUP and annual boats. Cal Parks accepts only cash, Visa, MasterCard or Discover.
RV CAMP TRAILERS
1. How many RV Camp trailers do you rent and what size are they? There are 8, 30’x8’ RV camp trailers. Each trailer has a master bed, a second bed or bunk beds, and the dining table and sitting couch convert to small beds.
2. How many vehicles are allowed per RV camp trailer? They are provided with two vehicle passes for entry to use the Trailer. Additional cars will be charged overnight camp rate.
3. Is a boat considered a vehicle? No.
4. What is check-in and check-out time? Summer season – 4pm check-in; 11am check-out. Winter season – 3pm check-in; 11am is check-out.
5. Are the RV camp trailers furnished? What do I need to bring? The trailers are self-contained with bathroom and kitchen facilities. All of the trailers have heating and air conditioning. You must bring any bed and bath linens and all cooking and eating utensils you need. Only a broom, mop bucket and dustpan are provided.
6. Do they have refrigerators or ice-boxes? Refrigerators.
7. How old are the RV camp trailers? Trailers, 1, 2 and 3 are 2012, Trailers 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 are 2005.
8. Is water, propane and electric included in the rental fee? Yes.
9. Is there room to pitch a tent next to the RV camp trailer? Yes, you can put up a tent at trailer number 1, 2, 5, 7 and
10. Can an RV or travel trailer connect to the RV camp trailer? No. Oak Knoll campground is where they would need to be for power connection.
11. Is there room for an RV to park next to the RV camp trailer? No just car. Very limited parking by RV Trailers.
12. Are dogs allowed? Yes, you may bring your dog, but it is not allowed inside the trailer. You will pay for the dog at the time of arrival. The pet must sleep in a tent or vehicle at night. Those caught will forfeit their $ 500.00 damage deposit.
13. Is there room for a playpen in the RV camp trailer? Yes, if the couch is not open as a bed.
14. Are there picnic tables, BBQs, fire rings and shade trees? Yes, each trailer has a BBQ and a fire ring. Shade trees are scatted.
15. Where are the RV camp trailers located? They are located to the right and above the Pine Knoll Campground area.
16. Do you accept reservations? What if I need to cancel? Yes, reservations are accepted. If you need to cancel, a full refund minus a $ 25.00 cancellation fee is given if you cancel 15 days or more prior you arrival date. If you cancel within 14 days that lead up to your arrival date there is NO Refund.
17. Is a security/cleaning deposit required? Yes, a $500 security fee is required, which will be used for damage repairs and extraordinary clean-up. It must be paid in cash or with a Visa, MasterCard or Discover. The deposit is paid when you check-in.
1. How many lodges do you have? Where are they located? There are 19 lodges, contained in 5 triplex buildings containing 3 lodges each and 2 duplex buildings containing 2 lodges each. The lodges are located on the ridgeline that overlooks the lake. All of the lodges have a beautiful view of the lake.
2. Are they furnished? Do they have BBQs? The lodges are fully furnished with all kitchen utensils and all bed and bath linens. There are refrigerators, microwaves, range tops (no conventional oven), coffee makers and toasters in all units. In the large units, there is a dishwasher and fireplace. There is a sun deck on the larger units and a balcony on the smaller units. Daily maid service is included. The units have air conditioning and heating. There are no televisions. BBQs and picnic tables are available for your use. Dura flame logs are provided on a daily basis – firewood cannot be used in fireplaces.
3. How big are the lodges? How many will they sleep? The triplex consists of 2 units that sleep 10 each and a center unit that will sleep 4. The duplex consists of 2 units that each sleep 10.
4. How many beds are there? Every lodge has a king size bed in the master bedroom and a queen sleeper sofa in the living room. The large units have 2 sets of bunk beds in an upstairs loft. The bunks provide double sleeping on the bottom bed and single on the top. The large lodge contains one bathroom in the master bedroom.
5. How many bathrooms are there? Each unit has one bathroom.
6. Can you make a reservation? Is there a minimum night requirement? Yes, reservations are recommended. There is a 2-night minimum on weekends and a 3-night minimum on major holidays (Memorial Weekend, 4th of July and Labor Day Weekend).
7. Are there TVs or telephones? No
8. Is there internet service? Yes, there is WiFi in each room. The password is Nacimiento_Resort.
9. Can I bring my pet? We provide five pet-friendly units – Units 1-5. Units 1-5 require a nonrefundable fee of $ 25 per pet per night plus tax. If you are caught with a pet at a no-pet unit (Units 6-19), you will be asked to leave the Resort without a refund or return of your deposit.
10. How many cars are we allowed to bring in? Where do we park them? The large units come with 3 vehicle passes. The smaller units come with 2 vehicle passes. Additional cars are charged the overnight camping rate or day use rate whichever is applicable. There is one parking spot in front of each unit. All other cars are to be parked in the auxiliary parking lots at the base of the driveway to the lodges. Parking in a space assigned to another Unit will result in loss of part of your deposit.
11. Where can I park my boat? Can I pull it up to the lodge to unload? Boats can be parked in the lower parking lot for lodges. They must not be pulled up to the lodges. The driveway is too steep and has a very sharp hairpin turn that will not accommodate boat trailers or large RVs.
12. Can we put a tent outside the lodges, on the grass? NO. Tents are not allowed in the lodge area – they can only be used in the designated camp sites.
13. Can my friend park his RV at the Lodges and sleep in it? No – RVs cannot be driven up to the lodges. RVs can be parked in the lower parking lot, but overnight sleeping can only be done in designated camping spots (Pine Knoll, Oak Knoll, Eagles Ridge, Sandy Point or Quails Roost) and a vehicle camp permit must be purchased.
14. What is the rental rate? See rate sheet for current rates.
15. Is there a security/cleaning deposit? Yes, a $500 security fee is required, which will be used for damage repairs and extraordinary clean-up. It must be paid in cash or with a Visa, MasterCard or Discover.
16. What is check-in/check-out time? Can I get a late check-out time? Check-in time is 4pm. Check-out time is 11am. A late check-out time can sometimes be arranged depending on the time of year and availability of the unit the day of check-out. You should check with the Reservationist when you check-in. Often there is a fee for late check-outs.
17. Is boat storage included with the lodge rental? Each lodge rental includes one marina boat slip. If dry storage is preferred, it can be done based on space availability.
18. Can we dock our boats next to the lodge? Can we walk to the beach? Docking your boat in front of the lodge is allowed, and distance from the lodges is dependent on lake level.
1. How many Mobil Homes do you have? Where are they located? There is 1. Mobil Home 40 is located near Sandy Point Campground. It has a view of the lake.
2. Is it furnished? Does it have a BBQ? It is fully furnished with all kitchen utensils and all bed and bath linens. There is a deck. Daily maid service is also included. It does have air conditioning and heating and wall-to-wall carpeting. BBQs and picnic tables are available for your use.
3. How big is the Mobil Home? How many will it sleep? It has 2 bedrooms, 2 sleeper sofas in the living room and one in the den area, 2 baths and sleeps 10.
4. Can you make a reservation? Is there a minimum night requirement? Yes, reservations are recommended. There is a 2-night minimum on weekends and 3-night minimum on major holidays (Memorial Weekend, 4th of July, Labor Day Weekend).
5. Are there TVs or telephones? NO.
6. Can I bring my pet? NO – pets are NOT allowed in or outside of the Mobil Home. If you are caught with your pet in or at the unit, you will be asked to leave the Resort with no refund or security deposit return.
7. How many cars are we allowed to bring in? Where do we park them? You are allowed 3 vehicles. Any extra cars will be charged the overnight camp rate, or day use rate, whichever is applicable. Parking is available at the Mobil Home.
8. Where can I park my boat? Boat parking for 1 boat is available at the Mobil Home. This reservation includes one boat slip at the Marina.
9. Can my friend park his RV at the Mobil Home and sleep in it? NO. Overnight sleeping in RVs can only be done in designated camping spots and an overnight vehicle permit must be purchased.
10. What is the rental rate? See the rate sheet for current prices.
11. Is there a security/cleaning deposit? A security/cleaning deposit of $ 500 is required at the time of check-in, by cash, Visa, MasterCard or Discover. This deposit will be used to cover the cost of damage and extraordinary cleaning.
12. What is check-in/check-out time? Can I get a late check-out time? Check-in is 4pm. Check-out is 11am. A late check-out can sometimes be arranged depending on the time of year and availability of the unit on the day of check-out. You should check with the Reservationist when you check-in. Often there is a fee for late check-outs.
FISHING AND BOATING
1. Is there a Marina? What is the hours? Yes, there is a full service marina. It is open from daylight to dusk during the summer months. During the winter a “Red Phone” is used to page assistance.
2. Do they sell fishing licenses? No, but the General Store, just up from the Marina, sells the licenses.
3. Do they rent boats? What kind? How much are they? How old do you have to be? Yes, boats are rented at the Marina. For type and rates, refer caller to the Marina 805-238-1056. You must be 21 years old to rent and/ or drive a rental boat.
4. Is a damage deposit required? Yes.
5. Can I reserve a boat over the telephone using my credit card and then pay cash upon arrival? Yes, reservations can be made over the phone. However, the boat must be paid for in advance, therefore holding the reservation with your credit card and paying cash on arrival is not acceptable.
6. Are boat slips available? Can I reserve one in advance? Slips are available on a first come first serve basis and arrangements must be made in person. Rentals slips are available on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis.
7. Do your fishing boats have depth finders? NO
8. Do you have houseboats? No, but we do have pontoon boats.
9. Do the pontoon boats have BBQs? No. Can we bring our own? Yes.
10. Is there a fishing guide service? NO
11. What are the fishing conditions? See current fishing report.
12. Is there a slalom course? Yes. There is no fee to use the course, but you must register at the Monterey County Registration booth prior to using the course.
13. What do I do if my bass club wants to hold a tournament? You must call and notify Monterey County Parks Department and California Department of Fish and Game.
14. Are water skis included when you rent a ski boat? Is the tow rope and/ or jackets? Each rental vessel has regulation life preservers and a ski flag. Skiis and wake boards are available to rent from the marina store.
15. How old do you need to be to drive a rental boat? 21-years old.
16. How old do you need to be to drive a boat? 16-years of age if alone.
17. Are there boats to rent without motors? No, but we have kayaks and canoes.
18. Can I keep a rental boat overnight? Yes, but only if special arrangements are made with the marina manager.
19. Do you have children’s life vests? Yes.
20. How old can you be before a fishing license is needed? 16-years old.
21. What is the cost of a fishing license? This changes yearly. A license can be purchased for a year or a day. You can purchase them from our General Store.
22. What kind of fish are in the lake? White Bass, Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass, Catfish. Blue Gill, Crappie, Carp, a few Trout and Red Ear.
23. Do you allow Personal Water Craft (PWC)? Yes.
24. Is there a minimum age to operate a PWC? Is there a designated area you have to stay in? As of January 1, 1998 the minimum age is 16 and there is no designated area. All must have a current Driver’s license.
25. Can you water ski? What hours? Yes between sunrise and sunset.
26. Is there an age requirement for the observer? Yes, 12-years or older.
27. Is there a launch fee? There is no launch fee; however, there is a lake use fee of $ 6 per day or you can purchase an annual lake sticker for your boat. The annual sticker is $ 100 and can be purchased from the main office of the resort, but not at the Marina.
28. Can you fish at night? Can you water ski at night? Can I sleep on my boat overnight? Fishing all night on the lake is allowed; however, you cannot sleep overnight on your boat. Skiing is not allowed at night. The Entry Gate will charge the day use fee plus any boat fees. Permit is good for 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.
29. Do you rent PWC? NO
30. How big is Lake Nacimiento? When full, the lake is 18.6 miles long and has 165 miles of shoreline. The surface covers 5,727 acres and it has a capacity of 377,900 acre feet of water.
31. Is the Lake man-made? Yes –a dam was built on the Nacimiento River.
32. When was the dam built? In 1959 and paid for by a bond funded by farmers in the Salinas Valley for a certain area referred to as Zone 2 and 2a.
33. What is the water used for? The designated uses of the water are irrigation, recreation and domestic water supply.
34. Why do they release water in the summer? Who releases it? Monterey County Water Resource Agency monitors the releases from both Lake Nacimiento and Lake San Antonio. The water is released for ground water recharge and irrigation in the Salinas Valley.
35. What County is the Lake in? It is located in San Luis Obispo County however, Monterey County is the property owner and has control of the water.
36. Is there a limit on the White Bass? Do you have to kill them? There is no limit. There is a fine if you are caught with a live White Bass in your boat. They must be killed immediately or released where caught. This is a State Fish and Game regulation to prevent the moving of the White Bass to other lakes.
37. Do you have Striped Bass? No, but they are in Lake San Antonio.
38. Is there a boat noise limit on the lake? Yes.
a)82db (A) for engines manufactured on or after 1/1/78
b)84db (A) for engines manufactured on or after 1/1/76 and before 1/1/76.
c)86db (A) for engines manufactured before 1/1/76
39. Can you Para-sail on the lake? Yes, but no kiting.
40. Do you rent sailboards? No, the marina rents stand-up paddleboards.
41. Is it safe to eat the fish in the lake? Yes, however no one should eat more than 4 meals per month of the Largemouth Bass. NO woman who is pregnant, or may soon become pregnant, nursing mothers or children under 6 should eat Largemouth Bass from the lake.
42. Are there floating restroom facilities on the lake? Yes.
DRY CAMP INFORMATION (Non-hookup tent camping)
1. Do you have tent camping facilities? Yes. There are over 300 sites available. Tent camping is available in Pine Knoll, Quails Roost, Eagles Ridge, Rocky Canyon and Sandy Point campgrounds. Sandy Point and Rocky Canyon are available by reservation only.
2. What is the fee? Check the current rate sheet.
3. Can I make a reservation? Yes, reservation are available for Oak Knoll, Sandy Point and Rocky Canyon. The rest of the campgrounds are available on a first come, first serve basis.
4. What if all of the sites are full when I arrive? If all designed campsites are full then you may choose to camp in the over flow area.
5. Can I save a site for my friend? No, saving sites is not allowed. You should arrive earlier in the week to make sure you get a space.
6. What if I pay for my friend’s car then can I save a site for him? No, customers must pay as the vehicle enters the Park – advance payment is not accepted. You must be present in the site.
7. Can I enter the Resort on Wednesday, set up camp, exit and then return on Friday for the weekend, and pay for all of the nights? No, someone needs to be at the site.
8. How many people per car? 8 (use good judgment). A lot of vehicles have 3 rows of seating now.
9. Do you charge per site or per vehicle? Per vehicle.
10. How many cars are allowed per site? How many tents are allowed per sites? There is no limit for cars or tents per site as long as the roadway is clear for traffic and emergency vehicle and you do not encroach on the adjoining campsites.
11. Where are the campgrounds located? Quails Roost is the first campground through the entry gate on your left. Oak Knoll is the first campground on the right. Rocky Canyon is the second campground on the right after entering the Resort. Sandy Point is the 4th campground after entry, turn right twice. Eagles Ridge is the 5th campground just pass Sandy Point. Pine Knoll is located next to the water.
12. Are there tables at the sites? What about BBQs? Developed sites will have a picnic table, a BBQ and a fire ring. A store bought fire pit with a spark arrester may be used on the overflow beach.
13. Can I park my boat at my campsite? Yes, some sites in Pine Knoll and Quails Roost allow for a boat. Eagles Ridge, Rocky Canyon or Sandy Point do not allow trailered boats.
14. What time quiet time? 10pm-7am
15. What if the entry gate is closed within I arrive? There is an iron ranger pay station located at the front gate. Please pay all fees prior the entering the park.
16. Do you have restrooms? Showers? Yes, restrooms are located in each of the campgrounds except for Eagles Ridge. There are hot water showers, flush toilets and electrical outlets in the restrooms. There is no fee to use the showers.
17. Is there an RV dump station? Yes, for our customers ONLY. Located in the large parking lot.
18. Are RVs allowed to camp in the not-hookup campgrounds? Yes in Pine Knoll. It is not recommended in Quails Roost or Sandy Point and large RVs are not allowed in Rocky Canyon.
19. Do you have group sites? Can you reserve them? Yes, Sandy Point and Rocky Canyon. Rates and arrangements are available through the reservation office.
20. Can I camp on the beach? Yes, in the designed overflow camping area. There are certain areas designated as Day Use Only – you may not camp there.
21. Can we have a fire on the beach? A BBQ? Yes, as long as the fire is contained in store bought fire ring. Yes you can use a BBQ to cook on.
22. What time do I have to be out of my campsite? You must vacate your campsite by 2 pm, but you may remain in the park until dusk, down at the Day Use area. In a reserved campsite, you must vacate the site by 11 pm.
FULL RV HOOKUP CAMPSITES – OAK KNOLL
1. Do you have RV hookups? How many sites? Yes, we have 40 sites with water, electric and sewer connections.
2. What are the rates? Check the current rate sheet.
3. Can reservations be made? Yes
4. What is the name of the RV campground? Where is it located? It is called Oak Knoll and is located about 7/10ths of a mile from the launch ramp. It will be the 1st campground on your right after entering the resort.
5. Are there restrooms in Oak Knoll? Yes, with hot water showers, flush toilets and electrical outlets.
6. Is Oak Knoll near the water? At high water level, the cove below Oak Knoll has water in it. That water would be approximately 200 yards from the edge of the campground. No man made trail is available to access the water.
7. Are there picnic tables? What about shade trees? There is a picnic table at each site and there are scattered shade trees.
8. Are open fires allowed? What about BBQ? There are BBQs at the sites but you must bring your own enclosed container for a campfire.
9. If I tow my boat with my RV and my wife comes in a separate car, do I have to pay for that car too? Yes, there will be a fee for the car. The RV will be charged the current RV hookup rate and the car will be charged the current regular camping rate. The second vehicle must park in a different campground unless there is space at your site in Oak Knoll.
10. What time can I check-in? Check-out? You can enter the park anytime. Check-in is 2 pm; Check-out is 11 am for Oak Knoll. You must be out of the campsite but you can remain inside the park until dusk.
11. What is the largest site available? 35’ long
12. Can my friend put a tent next to my RV? Yes, if space permits. No stakes are permitted.
13. Can my friend park his car next to my RV? No, there usually isn’t enough room for both an RV and a car.